Tuesday, May 7, 2013

how i came to live in wisconsin...a fairytale of sorts :)



I’m standing in my boyfriend’s one bedroom apartment which straddles the Madison Middleton line of everyone’s favorite Midwestern state…Wisconsin. A week ago this place was, as he said it “four walls and a place to sleep.” Somehow, and rather quickly I might add, it’s become our home. We have art on the walls, food in the fridge…and of course a ridiculously crowded closet J
Eight days ago I got into my overflowing 2007 Toyota Prius, and nineteen hours later I was at his door. And I puked in the parking lot. How romantic, huh? A girl who’s lived on every continent except for Antarctica and I’m nervous about America’s Dairyland….geez Louise. The truth is…this move was not like all of my other haphazard plans and schemes. I’m here because I felt something I didn’t think existed.
When I was a little girl I never thought of weddings and babies. My happily ever after was a little different. I craved adventure, excitement, a life of strangers and one way plan tickets that would make Carmen Sandiego look like a stay at home mom.  And for a few years, I did just that. During college I had amazing opportunities to study in Europe and South America. I spent the summer after college living the island life on St Simons, and after that I decided to spend a few years in the cultural melting pot of Orlando, Florida working at the happiest place on earth. When that got a little dull I applied for a visa to Australia and bought a one way ticket.
So how did I end up in Wisconsin from all that? Rewind to summer of 2009 (or was it 08?), Scottsdale, Arizona.  I represented GCSU at the PRSSA conference. I was meeting and greeting with about 297 females…and six males. Clearly I ended up at the boys table, because I had a conversation with one of them at the pool early that day. And by a conversation I clearly mean a drink.
Our technical “first date” was at a place called Bada Boom Pasta Room. As we were walking in the doorman said “can I see your ID?” and I said “NO.” I can’t believe 20 year old me didn’t get questioned.  Noah now tells me I said it with such conviction that even he didn’t think to ask how old I was. After the pasta room came margaritas at Salty Senorita and then the opening of a club called Cream. And there was our ridiculous first kiss story…sorry guys not giving up all the details J  It was a weekend of working hard and playing hard…and it was seldom I met people so great at both.
Later that summer, my new friend Noah invited me to his friend’s wedding in Wisconsin. He said the wedding was on a Saturday so I arranged to fly on Friday…the actual day of the wedding as I later found out. Just before scheduled departure, they announced that Milwaukee was flooded and my flight was cancelled. So there I am waiting in line to change my flight for a weekend in L.A., when an older Spanish lady is frantically trying to be reunited with her family. Trouble is none of the airline employees can understand a word she’s saying.  After they repeatedly asked anyone and everyone in line to translate, I stepped forward and used my terrible Spanish to somewhat resolve the situation. When my turn in line came around, lo and behold it was the same non-Spanish speaking Delta employee I had assisted in her crisis ten minutes prior. …so clearly I flew first class on the first flight into Milwaukee that afternoon J
The adventure continued…a stranger came to get me from the airport as Noah was actually IN the wedding…that was happening at that very moment….so I was fashionably late to the reception but still managed to be part of the maid of honor and best man’s speeches J We enjoyed the zoo, caught a Brewers game, saw a few shows at Summerfest, and went to some sort of street festival with lots of cheese.  Go figure. Next summer, different wedding, same story.  Once he came down to Florida to visit his grandmother for her birthday and we went to Disney and saw the Magic beat the Lakers back when Dwight and Kobe were on different teams. Wherever we were, good times were sure to follow.
In Australia, I got a package on the opening day of Brewers season. A Brewers tee and a note saying see you next season. So clearly that’s why I’m here. Dude owes me a baseball game. Okay, that’s a lie. I’m here because he’s all I think about. After Australia he and I toured Georgia and Florida and had an amazing time in Orlando, Palm Beach, St Simons, Savannah, and Atlanta. These places all have special meanings for me and I loved letting him see those parts of me. And I got acquainted with his family really fast as we all celebrated grandma’s 80th birthday together down in Florida. He came to Atlanta for the NCAA Final Four and to California when I was working out there last month. For whatever reason, I feel at home with him…wherever we are.
So the past week we’ve made breakfast, gone to the gym, made tacos, played catch, gone to the movies (a first for us as a couple), cooked spaghetti, snuggled on the couch, went grocery shopping,  and done those couple things I always thought were boring. Turns out they’re not.
Are things different? Hell yes. He now has tampons in his bathroom and 37 pairs of women’s size 7.5 shoes in his closet. And different for me? In the corner of our living room sits an army green Mezlan shoe box that once contained a pair of men’s size 10.5 dress shoes made in Spain but now holds 47 miniature horse figurines all delicately wrapped in newspaper from 2001.  After I stumbled upon this beauty, I text his brother “why did I unpack?!”  haha. Truth is, we both have our random little trivia facts. He collected horses, I collect (yes, still, as in present tense) elephants. We’re weird. Whatever. We’re weird together. For the first time, for me at least, I am who I am, not who I think I should be. It’s liberating.
So here I am. With my love. In Wisconsin of all places.  And its crazy .But life’s crazy. I always said I would never change anything in my life for a guy. Some of you may distinctly remember me saying something along the lines of “never change who you are or what you do or where you live for a guy, because he’s only a temp.” Ouch. Eating my words right now. But really the truth is, I still stand by that. I didn’t change for just “a guy” being with THIS guy is the best thing that’s happened to me. I moved to be with my best friend.  And for now, life has never been sweeter <3 font="">
**disclaimer: this story is also available in a 2 minute or less rehearsed “elevator speech” as we both have been forced to tell it numerous times to numerous people who don’t really care for the facts just the hows and whys. Contact either of us in the event that reading the above is too daunting J cheers mates!

No comments: