Thursday, March 7, 2013

Back in the U.S.!

I had mixed feelings on coming back to the U.S. after an amazing year in Australia. I found myself asking for rubbish bins instead of trash cans, telling people things like "no worries mate" or "good on ya," and keeping an eye out for kangaroos instead of deer while driving at dusk. Thank goodness I brought some Vegemite back for brekky to make my transition a little easier :) 

Downunder, I worked in hotels, restaurants, and nightclubs and did a lot of traveling. I lived in a van for three weeks traveling up the east coast, snorkeling the great barrier reef, visiting the world's oldest rain forest, and getting to know some amazing people. I saw a lot of Australia, and even went to Bali for some time before my visa ended (please see my Facebook for these awesome pics). I was afraid that when I came home nothing would compare to the experiences I had lived for that year, but thankfully I have a great group of friends and family who have shown me an amazing time since the moment I got back.


I was so thankful to spend Christmas with my family back in Onionville USA aka Vidalia, Ga. I visited some old friends (and former co-workers) at the happiest place on earth, stayed at an amazing hotel in historic downtown Savannah, spent some time back on St. Simons Island, saw some great concerts in Atlanta (P!ink and Big Gigantic), and got a behind the scenes tour of the Georgia Aquarium! I even did some work with a few former and new employers in Georgia. I  had the opportunity to do some writing again. I can't believe it had been nearly 3 years since my last article!! I got to interview two Southeastern Technical  College students for their website. I wrote articles about A father of two who was inspired to go back to school and a first assistant in the operating room. I loved being back with family and friends, and I must admit it felt so good to dust off the ol' recorder and AP Stylebook. Last week I visited Virginia Beach and then road tripped to West Virginia where I got to see snow and go to a Pittsburgh Penguins game, and now the adventure continues..



So where in the world is Beth Benton now?? Im currently in Huntington Beach, California soaking up the sun and doing a bit of work here and there. I work with Eat Well Play Well, a new company dedicated to providing nutritional meal options to busy families. This week we made turkey meatloaf with basil pesto, skinny mac n cheese with broccoli, Moroccan spiced carrots, chipotle corn and potato chowder, and black bean soup with a hint of jalapeno. This weekend I'll be working at a children and baby photography studio in Santa Monica, and next week I have plans for a trip to Vegas!

Guys, I thought when I came back to the U.S. I'd be sucked into a nine to five and wake up ten years later and wonder what happened. Thank goodness I could not have been more wrong. The thing is, life is what you make it. I have learned through all my travels (now every continent except for Antartica) that you can find adventure anywhere. If you do have that office job treat yourself to a weekend trip, go to a park, try a new recipe. Regardless of where you are, there are opportunities to try new things.

 I loved sitting on the beach in Port Douglas, Australia but I must say I haven't hated the view from Palm Beach, Florida or Huntington Beach, California. 

The truth is, happiness in something that's in us, not in where we are or even who we are with. This being said, don't expect my adventures to stop, just know that I'm happy where I am. There's nothing like the feeling of coming back through customs and hearing "Welcome home Miss Benton."

"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it." - George Moore











No comments: