Friday, April 30, 2010

Things I've Learned


As I get ready to graduate (only a week from today!) I can't help but look back on the lessons I have learned during my time in college both in and out of the classroom. Part of me is so ready to hit the ground running and take the real world by storm, yet there is some part of me that wonders what will happen out in the grown up world. It's interesting; one of my new favorite artists, Jess Chalker, has a song that says "the lessons you will learn aren't from pages you can turn." Looking back, I realize just how much truth there is in that statement. Miss Chalker also has another song that says "I'm not scared of change but I'm terrified of staying in exactly the same place." This too really fits with my life right now. I am so excited to move to St. Simons this summer and meet new people while interning at Sea Island, and I know that I will have a blast at the Disney College Program in the fall. I hate when things are predictable, the usual Monday/Wednesday class, the same small town scene; I'm ready to break free, but at the same time I know I'll miss these crazy college days. Anyway, enough of the trip down memory lane. Here's what I found out along the way (some are career related--some are just life lessons):
  1. PR professionals don't need sleep, just caffeine and a smile :)
  2. No matter how old you get, you still have times when you need your mom. And if you end up in the hospital having an emergency appendectomy, nothing makes you feel as good as seeing her come through those ER doors at 3 a.m.
  3. When bad things happen and cupcakes run out, you see people's true colors. Some can handle crisis; some can't. (note: try to figure out who these people are BEFORE the crisis)
  4. Adding to #3, things will always work how they are meant to work out, and sometimes the most unlikely people come to the rescue. Just plan ahead and be cool under pressure.
  5. Never take the one person who thinks outside the box for granted. They are most likely your most valuable team member. Also, befriend the person who has the huge purse full of any random thing you might need.
  6. Sometimes an idea you thought was brilliant gets nipped in the bud...and that's okay. Maybe it wasn't so great after all.
  7. Carry a shout wipe.
  8. "The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing" :) keep your priorities in order. focus on the receiver not the message.
  9. Never underestimate the power of networking. the guy behind you in line at the airport may offer you your next job.
  10. A few randoms to end on: Try everything. Life is too short to have regrets; we just consider them lessons learned. Love is one of the most complex yet utterly amazing emotions an individual can feel, and even people who don't believe in it can stumble upon it sometimes. No matter what happens with friends work or family, NEVER LOSE YOURSELF.
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
-Mahatma Gandhi

2 comments:

Tori Lynn Cantrell said...

Wow Beth! That was an amazing blog post. Kudos.

Ginger Carter Miller said...

LOL Shout Wipe.